Join Matt and Karen as they descend 750 feet underground to explore what Karen thinks is one of the most magical places in the entire U.S. national park system: Carlsbad Caverns. Matt’s not a huge fan of dark, scary holes, but he puts on a brave face during the couple’s multiple visits to this enchanted part of the Chihuahuan Desert in southern New Mexico. You might want to have a flashlight or two close by when you listen to this episode, just in case the lights go out and you need to self-rescue your way back to daylight. That’s one of the lasting effect these cave visits had on Matt: he never goes anywhere now without at least a couple light sources with him.
In this episode we discuss:
- The variety of cave tours offered at Carlsbad Caverns
- Which caves Matt and Karen visited
- Why Matt’s not a fan of caves
- What to know if you’re planning to attend the bat flight program
- The ranger speech that made Karen tear up
- Why Karen is thinking about becoming a scientist
- Photos from our trips to Carlsbad Caverns
- Carlsbad Caverns NPS website
- Join the conversation on Facebook – we want to hear from you!
- Our books
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices