Of all the experiences we had while traveling to the U.S. national parks, bear watching in Katmai National Park is at the top of the list. Tucked away in a remote part of southwest Alaska, Katmai is truly a unique and exciting place to visit. During certain weeks each summer, visitors are pretty much guaranteed some phenomenal bear watching. Join us on this episode to hear stories about our incredible bear encounters and our recommendations for planning your own trip to Katmai.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why Katmai became a national park in the first place
- Where it is and how to get to there
- What to do (and not do) if you have a close encounter with a bear
- Tips for the best places to view the brown bears in the park, and
- Our “interesting” bear encounters while visiting the park
- Photos from our trips to Katmai
- Katmai National Park website
- Camping at Katmai
- Katmai Lodge website (replace this link with Brooks Camp at www.katmailand.com)
- Join the conversation on Facebook – we want to hear from you!
- Our books
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices