Little did we know when we cavalierly made the announcement ten years ago that we were going to visit every U.S. national park that we had just signed up for a trip to the Southern Hemisphere. The National Park of American Samoa is part of the only U.S. territory south of the equator. So off we went one December on a journey to explore this South Pacific island paradise. In this episode, we talk about our experiences in the park, as well as what we learned about the Samoan culture while visiting with locals about their way of life. We’ll also tell you why all of the TVs on the island were tuned into NFL games the Sunday we were there. At the end of the episode, we answer a question from our mailbag.
Some of the topics we discuss in this episode:
- Where the heck American Samoa is and how to get there
- A little history about the islands
- Why there’s a national park there
- Best time of the year to go
- Where to stay when you’re visiting
- Some of the activities we did on our trip
- Our encounter with a flying fox
- And a special gift we got from a group of Samoan teenagers. But there’s a twist to the story.
Links to more information:
- Visit the park’s website to learn more
- Photos from our trip
- Where to learn more about our books and travels
- Join the conversation on Facebook – we want to hear from you!
- Check out our Instagram account
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices