Saddle up, partner! Apologies for the corny opening, but—spoiler alert—more horse-related puns are awaiting you in this episode. We’ve taken many treks into wilderness areas in the past ten years, yet most of them have been of the two-legged variety. On this adventure, we let our four-legged friends do the hard part, carrying us (and our stuff) deep into the Pasayten Wilderness of north-central Washington state. As it seems with most of our exploits, there were a few bumps in the trail that we didn’t anticipate. But by the time we ended our four-day, three-night trip, we were ready to do it all over again. We just needed a few days for our butts to stop aching.
Some of the topics we discuss in this episode:
- What it was like to ride a horse for the first time in 25 years
- The curious suggestions we got from friends as we were preparing
- The unique characteristics about each of our horses
- The magnificent setting of our camp and the details of camp life
- Why our horses deserted us and how we got them back
- How it felt to wake up in a frozen tent in August
- Our amazing daytrips
- And, it wouldn’t be a Matt and Karen adventure without a guest appearance from an oh-too-familiar slithery companion
Links to more information:
- Photos from our trip
- Where to learn more about our books and travels
- Join the conversation on Facebook – we want to hear from you!
- Check out our Instagram account
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices