Rising more than 14,000 feet above sea level, Mount Rainier stands as an icon in the Washington landscape. In this episode we discuss this active volcano and the incredible national park that surrounds it, one of the oldest parks in the national park system. With 97% designated as wilderness, we share tips on how to visit some of the developed areas, with information about what to see, where to stay, when to go, and our favorite hiking trails.
Some of the topics we discuss in this episode:
- Why it’s called Mt. Rainier and the controversy surrounding its name
- How to visit the park in the winter
- Why you might want to wait until July for your summer visit
- What the five different developed areas of the park are like
- What it’s like to stay in Paradise Inn, one of the great lodges of the West
- Our favorite hike in the park
- Information on summiting Mt. Rainier
- Other things to do and see in the park
Links to more information:
- Check out the current road status in Mount Rainier National Park
- Where to learn more about our books and travels
- Join the conversation on Facebook – we want to hear from you!
- Check out our Instagram account
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices