We had all but given up on ever getting a permit to hike to one of the most sought-after sites in the American Southwest: The Wave in Northern Arizona. But in the fall of 2019, an email from a kind and generous stranger changed all of that. The adventure to this spectacular rock formation was as awe-inspiring as we’d heard it would be, and in this episode, we describe our experience at The Wave in January 2020. And if you think the excitement was over at the end of the hike, it wasn’t. The drive back to civilization on the half-frozen dirt road was an adventure all its own.
Some topics we discuss include:
- What it’s like to participate in the walk-in lottery for permits in Kanab, UT
- The process for applying for a permit online, and a few tips on how to increase your chances of winning
- How to prepare for hiking to The Wave in different seasons of the year—spoiler alert: it can be dangerously warm in the summer with no shade
- Advice on navigating the sometimes-dicey House Rock Valley Road on the 8-mile drive to the trailhead
- What to expect if/when you finally make it to The Wave
- And in our mail bag segment, we share some tips about how we’ve reduced the weight in our backpacks on overnight trips, including some of the gear that goes into our packs and what we leave at home.
Links to more information:
- Bureau of Land Management site for The Wave where you can learn more about the site and find information about how to apply for a permit
- To see our photos from this adventure, click here.
- Where to learn more about our books and travels
- Join the conversation on Facebook – we want to hear from you!
- Check out our Instagram account
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices